Monday, February 2, 2009

My new hobby

I was watching the tele the other day, bored as can be and turned to the Food Network channel where there was a show on called "Challenge". It was a bunch of cake decorators trying to make a scene from Cirqu Di Soleil out of cake and it intrigued me so I decided my new hobby will be decorating cakes. I was so excited about this new idea and I ran down town to the kitchen store and signed up for a class. Amanda decided she wants to give her BF a cake for Valentines Day so I decided to see if I could be good at decorating cakes and did a trial run on Sunday. I baked the cake which actually took 50 minutes instead of 30 because I made two boxes. I checked it at 30 minutes and it was wiggly which is never a good sign when dealing with a cake. Anyway, it came out of the oven and I let it cool down before I dumped it out. When I went to dump it out of the pan it slipped right out but then I needed to get it on to a cooling rack so I picked it up and it broke in half!!! I wanted to add a heart shaped layer on top of the square cake so I put another cake in the oven, this time I made it round and it cooked quite nicely actually. When the cakes were cooled I trimmed the edges so they were all pretty and I cut out a heart shape from the little cake and frosted them which didn't work quite like I had planned. Then I covered each layer in marshmallow fondant (wow! making this was an adventure but I haven't the time to go in to detail at this particular moment...stay tuned for more on the fondant experience). I'm pretty impressed with how my first cake turned out. It may not be the most beautiful but but it's not ugly which is all I was hoping for!!! I think I could be good at this decorating thing but we shall see.

Observe...the cake

I will most likely grow up to be a baker of many a delicatessen. Just look at that magnificent, sugary, heart shaped, made with love cake! I wonder if it tastes good....

No comments: